7 Ways NextService Improves Operational Efficiency & Increases Revenue
Different Industries, Same Challenges
With over 70 years of cumulative experience and customers in 50+ micro-verticals, NextService possesses a breadth and depth of knowledge about field service operations and the necessary tools to manage a field service team efficiently and profitably. From medical device manufacturing to sanitation services and public safety to pool services, our customers manage the servicing of a diverse range of assets. Yet despite this diversity amongst customers, the challenges they faced with field service management prior to implementing NextService FSM software were remarkably similar.
Enter NextService FSM Software
For all our customers, regardless of their industry, their challenges were very similar when they connected with us. NextService team members take the time to understand such challenges, why they are occurring, and how best to solve them. Our conversations and collaboration with customers yield an understanding of which challenges are impacting their organizations and enable NextService to deliver solutions that provide the biggest ROI.
Helping Customers Tackle 7 Common Challenges
Below are the seven (7) most common challenges our customers were experiencing prior to deploying NextService + NetSuite and a description of how NextService alleviates each challenge.
Many organizations complain about poor visibility of their technicians in the field. Concerns about this lack of visibility include low utilization levels, slow response times, limited visibility of resources, and repeated calls and follow-up. If you have no visibility of resources and are managing allocation of jobs from a whiteboard or a spreadsheet, you are running blind.
NextService’s GPS tracking and dynamic schedule board enable users to effectively manage the available time of field service technicians and maximize utilization. When reactive work comes in, users can see who is closest to the job and dispatch that technician, thus improving response times. Schedulers or dispatchers often report too much time is spent making repeated calls to technicians to confirm availability and to customers to confirm appointments or follow up. NextService’s robust scheduling features eliminate the need for such calls by capturing all necessary scheduling information in one dashboard.
- How many more jobs per week per technician could you schedule/dispatch if you had visibility of your resources?
- How much more time does dispatch spend with repeated follow-up calls and confirmations? Could you reduce this by at least 50% or more?
Even if an organization has an ERP or robust business management system in place, it is highly likely the field service operations are running separately. Running two separate systems oftentimes results in inventory discrepancies. Customer concerns about such discrepancies include stock loss and shrinkage, low first-time fix rate, miscommunication about supply chain delays, and missed revenue resulting from billing issues.
After a technician takes parts from the main warehouse, it becomes very difficult to track those parts in the field. Organizations report stock losses due to parts being consumed on jobs and not recorded. This translates to stock write–offs and lost revenue opportunities.
If a technician does not have the right part in the van, they will need to book a return job after they pick up the part from the main warehouse. Having parts management in the field means a greater chance of fixing the problem first time. Auto-replenishment of safety stock levels also ensures field vehicles are not in service with depleted stock levels, which can impact the next job.
Additionally, expensive parts are not typically carried in vans. So, if such a part is required, technicians need to contact HQ to order it. And when the part finally arrives, there can be ambiguity as to which job it is for.
As a native NetSuite app, NextService FSM software’s compatibility with the NetSuite ERP system eliminates these obstacles by providing full transparency into stock levels, as well as location and real-time alerts that guide inventory management. Furthermore, parts can be ordered from the job and drop shipped directly to customers to expedite parts delivery.
- How much are your stock write-offs each year? If you had full transparency of parts in the field, what percentage could you reduce this to?
- What percentage of parts are consumed on the job but never billed?
- By what percentage could you improve your annual revenue if 100% of billable parts consumed on jobs were accounted for?
- What percentage of your repair jobs are fixed first time? How much could you improve that metric if you had the right part at the right time?
3. Paper Job Sheets
Paper-based job sheets have a double-whammy effect. Not only are there delays in getting paperwork back to the office, but administrative people are also manually rekeying data and managing customer disputes long after the job is complete.
Unless customers digitally sign off on the job in real time — acknowledging parts, labor, and job outcomes — you will likely be dealing with customer disputes. Disputes take up administrative time and lead to undesirable customer experiences. They may also lead to having to make concessions for parts and labor for which you would normally bill (read: lost revenue).
NextService removes these obstacles with digitized job sheets and real-time capture of data and signatures. Say goodbye to delays in getting paperwork back to HQ, manual data entry processes, and managing avoidable customer disputes.
- How much time does your team spend manually re-keying paper job sheet information into your finance and CRM systems?
- How much time do administrative staff spend managing customer disputes?
- How many credits are you issuing per year and what revenue could you have otherwise earned?
4. Asset Management & Customer Engagement
What you are servicing and where it is located are two key pieces of information for field operations. Customers often complain about technicians’ lack of insight pertaining to job history and recurring problems at specific jobs. Arming your field service team with NextService’s Asset History feature means they can review what has been done before, what parts were used, what services were provided, and by whom. Access to this information by technicians positively impacts the customer experience by expediting the resolution process and eliminating duplicated efforts.
Having easy access to asset history and customer information enables technicians to have informed interactions with customers. Not only can this improve your MTTR (Mean Time to Repair), but your customers will also enjoy a better experience. Better customer experiences ultimately lead to an increase in revenue through referrals and increased job revenue. Furthermore, opportunities for new business, including asset upgrades or additional services, are captured directly in NetSuite from the field.
- How much time do your technicians spend calling the office for Asset information?
- What impact could an informed positive customer experience have on the growth of your organization? Would customers spend more with you per job? Would their brand allegiance lead to an increase in customers?
- How much could you reduce your average job time for repeat repairs? Would this mean you could complete more jobs per week?
5. Compliance & Safety
Many of our customers expressed concern about the business risks associated with paper documents, as well as an inability to effectively enforce compliance with paper documentation and filing. You cannot enforce safety and compliance forms if they are on paper. This introduces risk to any organization where occupational health and safety is concerned and compromises the welfare of customers and the general public.
NextService offers fully digitized compliance and safety forms and workflows to mandate completion, enabling 100% compliance for your organization. In addition, some customers have even reported a reduction in insurance premiums.
- With changing health and safety regulations, how important is it to be able to quickly roll out new job forms to ensure public safety requirements are being met?
- Could you achieve ISO accreditation or other quality measures with the enforcement of forms?
- By how much could you reduce your insurance premiums if 100% compliance is demonstrable?
6. IT Overhead
Disconnected systems and the costs associated with managing the integrations or connectors required to connect multiple systems is expensive. A complex ecosystem of software often leads to high IT overhead because you literally have multiple software solutions for which to manage upgrades, version control, mapping of data, testing, and more. Even the best integrated field service systems carry an overhead with the cost of connectors and managing their ongoing resource requirements.
NextService delivers a field service management solution that is completely on platform with and embedded in your NetSuite ERP. This compatibility offers the most seamless experience from a process perspective, removes the need for additional IT expenses, and provides a single source of truth for data.
- How much do you spend on IT overheads related to managing integrations between your finance and field service systems, including labor, software licensing, and maintenance costs?
7. Operational Reporting
Paper-based field operations limit your ability to accomplish accurate operational reporting. Without digitization, it is difficult to identify accurate service margins and how much warranties are costing your organization. Even if you have a field service system in place, being disconnected from your ERP or financial system means your data is questionable. Disconnection means you will be utilizing a substantial amount of resources to piece spreadsheets together for weekly, monthly, annual, or quarterly reporting.
The only way to achieve reporting nirvana is to have everything in one system. A relational database like NextService + NetSuite offers the best opportunity to extract meaningful operational intelligence, analytics, and dashboards that drive decision making. NextService helps customers expedite decision making and resource planning by streamlining their reporting processes, ultimately contributing to increased revenue and customer retention.
- What are the major gaps in reporting for your business? If you had on-demand reporting at your fingertips, what would be the material value?
- How much time do you spend collating end-of-month data for operational reporting?
- How confident are you in the accuracy of your data?
- If you could review operational and financial analytics in real-time, how much more quickly could decisions be made?
One Key Outcome: Increased Revenue
The culmination of the key results users experience with NextService creates one outcome that is paramount to their success and growth: increased revenue.
Which of these challenges resonate with you? We want to hear from you, learn about your business, and help you tackle the obstacles preventing you from optimizing efficiency and driving revenue growth. Contact us today or schedule a product demonstration.
Want a summarized version of the challenges and solutions presented in this article? Download our Value Insights brochure.